Makes and Bakes: Bavarian Cookies



Yup heres what I did with my weekend - baking on a Saturday night, I sure know how to have fun .... No, Im being serious, this is totally my idea of a fun time and I am not ashamed of that! ;D

Sugar Cookies!


These are technically Bavarian Sugar Cookies - and yeah, my icing kinda didn't work so good :-/

The recipe (and images of a much better example!) are from my fave RasberriCupcakes 

You Will Need:

300g plain flour
250g cold unsalted butter, cubed
80g caster sugar
1 large egg yolk
pinch of salt


1 large egg white
100g pure icing sugar
Optional: food colouring


Preheat oven to 225 degrees C. Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Combine the butter into the flour either by using a butter knife or your finger tips to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles big bread/biscuit crumbs

Stir in the caster sugar and then add the egg yolk and salt, mix to combine. Knead mixture lightly with your hands to form a soft dough and shape into a ball. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for about 30 mins (I love this bit! Pat your ball! fun right!? ;D ).

When dough is firm, remove from fridge and carefully roll out on a floured surface. Be careful - it's a very delicate and light dough. Roll to desired thickness and use cookie cutters to cut into shapes and place on a lined baking tray.

Beat egg white in a medium mixing bowl and gradually add the icing sugar. Beat until the mixture is smooth, shiny and white. Add food colouring if you wish.

Using a small spoon, spread a little of the icing over the tops of each of the cookies, taking care to not let it spill over the edge of the cookies or it will burn in the hot oven. ( Yup that's right, you ice the biscuits before you bake them, not after.) The thinner you spread the icing over the cookies, the crisper it will be and the more likely it will be to crack slightly. I think I did mine too thin though :(

Bake for about 5-6 minutes, or until they are just turning golden on the edges. Keep a close eye on the biscuits while they are in the oven, the window of time between undercooked biscuits and burnt biscuits is tiny.

These cookies are sooo tasty! I could not stop eating them! as you can see from the above pic, I only iced a few, and sprinkled caster sugar on the rest, which works just as well for a light, crumbly biscuit :) - FYI don't try and do both, or they will end up looking like the hearts :-|


What the what!? 

MORE baking!

oooooh yes

:D

Ginger Bread



Recipe next week for this one! I love gingerbread!



1 comment:

  1. :D baking is totally my idea of a fun time too! Love the squirrel shaped cookies! x

    ReplyDelete