Guest Posts: Claireabellemakes' Cheese Straws


Hi, I'm Claire from Claireabellemakes

Jenny asked me to share a guest post with you today so I thought I would share one of my favourite savoury recipes, Cheese Straws.


I find baking really relaxing and thoroughly enjoy grabbing my apron and opening my baking cupboard on a weekend afternoon. Since I've been following Jenny's blog, it has definitely inspired me to bake more. I can highly recommend her Lemon Muffins and she is the cookie queen! 

At our recent WI meeting, we had so many cakes and treats it was difficult to choose what to have. I made one of my favourite savoury recipes - Easy Cheesy Straws and they went down well.

I promise you can make these even if you don't have much experience with baking. It is a simple recipe and they only take 15-20 minutes in the oven.

So, where to start?
  • Preheat the oven to 200 degrees or 180 for fan
  • Rub 125g butter into 250g plain flour (I cheat and use my food processor as it's super fast)
  • Stir in a pinch of English Mustard Powder and some salt, pepper and dried herbs
  • Add 100g of strong mature cheddar or any other cheese with plenty of flavour
  • Add an egg yolk and some water and mix into a dough
  • Roll our the pastry onto a floured board and cut into straws or whatever shape takes your fancy. I make mine about 3/4cm thick
  • Brush with a beaten egg. You can add grated cheese on top and poppy seeds if you like
  • Bake on a non stick tray for 15-20 mins
  • They should be golden and crisp
  • EAT!!
And that's it! A quick and tasty recipe which I always bust out for picnics and parties. They are really scrummy if you eat them when warm :-)

Now who is going to come and help me eat the rest? I've also got a cheesecake in the fridge that needs polishing off..........

Claireabelle x


Claire blogs over at www.claireabellemakes.com about craft, baking and life in her home city of Cambridge.


6 comments:

  1. I love Cheese Straws! Will have to give this version a go. I always make them for parties but they very rarely end up leaving the kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. your profile "world class procrastinator " makes me laugh ^___^
    thats too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound amazing, I will definitely need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had some idea of what "Dried Herbs" is comprised of and how much of what goes into this mini recipe idgredient that's within a great recipe. Any ideas on what this is made of? It seems that the dried herb ingredient in a recipe is always the thing that makes a dish but is never shared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up.
    The text in your post seem to be running off the screen in Firefox.

    I'm not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I'd post to let you know.
    The style and design look great though! Hope you get the problem fixed soon.

    Thanks

    Feel free to visit my website: continue reading this

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be able to find good information from your
    blog articles.

    Also visit my webpage - homepage

    ReplyDelete